7/8/11

Zucchini Basil Soup



This time of year, some gardeners will become embroiled in a battle with the mighty zucchini.


Dare to blink, and this unassuming summer squash will spread faster than a vicious rumor—if you're lucky.

Are you ready?

Then hold on to your bounty, my friends, because here's a plan of action to turn this prolific vegetable into soup. A damn good soup!


For this recipe, I try to use zucchini that are small to medium in size, and save the torpedo ones for baking. Or, for chasing away the neighbor's dog, who will happily trot over to my side of the fence to drop the occasional bomb. Dat dawg will heed most commands, except for, "SIT!"
One command he's determined to misconstrue. But I digress.

This delicious summer soup can be served hot or cold. In bowls, coffee mugs, hollowed out  zucchini cups, or any way you like.
Just make it and share it with your neighbors, though you may not want to.


Zucchini Basil Soup

4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 cup half & half
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ cup freshly-grated Parmesan, optional
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, sauté chopped onion in butter until soft and translucent. Add zucchini and chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients, and purée right in the pot using an immersion blender (If you're using a tabletop blender, be sure to cool soup slightly before blending). Heat to simmering and serve. Yield: 4  servings.


I served the soup with Frico. Croutons made from day-old bread, and even homemade  cheddar crackers are good too. I will post the latter soon.

Frico

8 ounces of Parmesan, finely grated
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or rosemary, optional

In a bowl, combine the parmesan and the flour. Heat a medium, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the mixture into the pan to form a 4-inch circle.

Sprinkle lightly with herbs, if using, and cook for a few minutes, until cheese melts. Turn cheese over and cook the other side for about a minute, or until it  begins to take on color, but is still flexible. Cool frico over a rolling pin to shape.



Here's another favorite, to help you embrace the resistance, Zucchini Pancakes. Because it's been said, one of the most time-consuming things is to have an enemy.



Joining:
Foodie Friday
Show and Tell Friday
DIY by Design

23 comments:

  1. That refined soup must taste just heavenly! What wonderful Italian flavors. Very holiday-like.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little zucchini cups are a delight. I doubt your zucchini soup would taste as yummy with store bought zucchini. But, I must try it. I did not get any garden in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one soup I have not made:) I will and think of you..

    It's pretty and we love soups..of course your presentations always make me wanna have what you're having:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sol, like Monique, I'll be making this soup. SOON! One of my favourite zucchini recipes (Zucchini Pancakes) is also one of yours.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a hoot, Sol! This soup sounds so delicious and I'd love to make it also (and try not to think about the dog - LOL).

    My husband wouldn't let me grow zucchini this year because it spreads over the lawn and kills the grass so you can send all your extra Zs my way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sol, you have such a way as to make even zucchini look stunning :)
    I think Miss Picky would love this soup so I will be making it sooner rather than later.
    LOL at the SIT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. And zucchini is starting to bust out around here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosa, it's a heavenly soup with a creamy and cheesy devilish edge—the best of both worlds :)

    Cotehele, I've also made this soup with store-bought zucchini, and it's been pretty wonderful. So garden, or no garden, please, don't let it discourage you.



    Monique, je t'aime, in three languages! :)


    Thank you my friend Ann! I haven't made the pancakes this summer. But I plan to, when Sam comes up for a visit in the fall, as the pancakes are also a favorite with her.


    I'm so sorry sweet Susan. Stories of bad pups and food should never appear in the same sentence!


    Dear Carol, I think you should know that Manpants always refused this soup, being green and all. Then one day, I coaxed him to close his eyes, and try something "new" recipe.
    I'm happy to report, he's converted to yet another green food. And I still can't believe it. Not about the soup, but the fact he actually closed his eyes!
    I thought I had raised this kid right :)

    Lorrie, I hope you'll enjoy these recipes!

    Thanks to my foodie brigade. And happy weekend to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...embroiled in a battle with the mighty zucchini..." ha ha... and isn't it the TRUTH!? Thanks for this recipe...hmmm...I have SO many zucchinis...wonder how this would freeze for winter? DEFINITELY trying it!! Thanks loads!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazingly innovative way of serving this delicious looking soup Marysol! And lol at chasing away the neighbour's dog with a zucchini. I wonder if he comes over just for some of this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9/7/11

    That looks great and inviting.I enver paired basil (husband of tomatoe) to zuccini but why not.Will try next time.Anyhow my last zuccini(mostly hidden ) are growiing now ina amazing proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dropped by to see more of your outstanding photos from Foodie Friday and now I love the recipe as well. I make something similar with zucchini and clams and a Frico would be perfect with it too. Like the rosemary in the Frico. It would give it a bit of color as well as flavor.

    Your photos are just incredible. If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to take a look around your blog. I really like what I see.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful soup, though I'm not a huge fan of zucchini. Beautiful presentation! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marysol, last week my sweet neighbor brought me some home grown zucchinis from her daughter's garden...and I so enjoyed the fullness of their flavors! You sure gave to the zucchini a whole new dimension! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of serving frico with this soup. There's always room in the freezer for these kinds of soups that you can stash away for the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deborah! I hope you'll find use for all your zucchini surplus. This soup will freeze fine, but I would freeze it without the Parmesan cheese, adding it just before serving. Enjoy!


    Lorraine, I think the pup is more amused at the reaction of his silly, human 'playmate' than anything else. And though I like the little troublemaker, I won't be sharing my soup with him :)


    Dzoli, thank you! I hope you'll make it and enjoy.


    Hi Sam, your zuk rendition sounds great! Thank you for your wonderful comments!


    Desi, I'll certainly check out what you've been up to!


    Sarah, you have sweet neighbors indeed. But then, so are you. I'm excited to see what you will create with their gift to you!


    Linda, exactly what I do; it's pretty darn comforting to have an arsenal of soups in the freezer!


    I hope you're all experiencing nice, mild weather. Thank you very kindly for hanging out with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. surely a good way to enjoy this summer squash right now! I am making use of this time to make a variety of zucchini dishes too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful way to use up all that zucchini! And I do get tired of zucchini bread/cake etc. I like that this can be served hot or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful soup! My tummy has not been feeling very well lately, I think this might be a nice soothing soup for it.

    As always your presentation is just gorgeous!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the zucchini/basil combo. I usually sprinkle basil on sauteed' zucchini, so this is a no brainer for me! Can't wait to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful styling! And the soup? perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nancy, I hope your tummy recovered, in time to enjoy the weekend!

    Thanks everyone for having taken the time to comment; you're all very kind!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how I love visiting you! Your recipes are top notch and the presentation the best! :) The soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete