4/18/14

Meet Ewenice




Looks a little sleepy, doesn't she?

As children, some of us  grew up with pets, such as cats, dogs and canaries. And then, there was that  kid who preferred less conventional animals like horses, rabbits  and sheep – I was that kid.

From my aunt, who raised sheep and chickens, to an uncle who owned horses, to my godfather who raised rabbits, I was fortunate enough as a kid to have a free, lifetime pass to a menagerie.



For years, I prayed for any of these animals to "follow" me home from school. But now I know that's not possible,  as I no longer go to school . . .
But I  still love my 'pets.'  And I still love cake  And so, I give you,  Ewenice, with her sweet black face.

 I could've dusted off some old lamb cake molds, but chose an 8-nch hemisphere pan to bake this cake.  This way, you too can make her, or any other fluffy critter of your choosing, from any size bowl you like, without the need for special equipment.
The lamb's head was just a cupcake. It was attached by inserting a wooden skewer  into the cupcake and right through the body.

The face was covered in fondant. Ears, hooves and flowers were also fondant.  Buttercream covered the cake, which was piped with a Wilton's 1M pastry tip. But any star or round pastry tip will be fine.


Unfortunately I don't have enough space for all the animals I love. But there will always be enough room for my two cats . . . and other, smaller collections. Enter baby silver cups. Tell me you love them too, or  I'll be disappointed.
This American sterling silver cup with the Peter Rabbit handle (by Saart Brothers Silver Co.) still makes me swoon with delight . . . was that too Stepford-y?

But I digress. If you're baking a cake this Sunday, allow me to put a sway in your Easter basket.  This recipe was slightly adapted by adding the zest of one orange. The cake is fragrant and deliciously moist, with an assertive citrus kick  (Btw, I omitted the orange glaze  because I used my Whipped Buttercream  to cover the cake). 

Found the recipe here: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody.

VANILLA YOGURT CAKE with ORANGE GLAZE

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, seed scraped out, pod discarded
1 ½ TBSP vanilla extract
7 oz Greek Yogurt
½ cup vegetable oil
Grated zest of one orange
4 TBSP orange juice, divided

Spray two 6 x 3.2 x 3.4 inch loaf pans with baking spray. Or coat with butter and flour.

Preheat oven to 350F.
Using a stand mixer, beat together the egg, egg yolk, and sugar on medium-high speed, until it turns pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla beans, vanilla extract, and oil, beat another minute, until incorporated.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

With the mixer on low speed, add half the amount of dry ingredients. Then add half the amount of Greek yogurt, and 2 TBSP of the orange juice. Add remaining dry ingredients and followed by the remaining yogurt. Remove from mixer and finish mixing by hand using a spatula until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.

Pour into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Remove from oven. Using a toothpick or large wooden skewer poke holes into the cake. Using a pastry brush, brush orange juice over hot loaves.
Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Place on wire rack to finish cooling. When cool, glaze cakes.

Orange Glaze

2 cups sifted powdered sugar
6 TBSP orange juice

Combine together with a whisk. Pour over cakes.



Happy Easter  Friends!



34 comments:

  1. I was that kid too! I had bunnies, horses and even a pet opposum for a short while. I know...now that I think back it was weird, Never any sheep though. Your Ewenice is adorable with her sleepy eyes. She sounds delicious too! Your Peter Rabbit mug is sworn worthy and so is that beautiful antique vase. Happy Easter, Sol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An opposum for a pet? Alright, you win! :)

      Best wishes for a wonderful Easter, Susan!

      Delete
  2. I was not that kid..
    I finally got a dog when I was about 10 and so was the dog.
    Reeko..you heard that right.He came with a name.
    Gone after one weekend..no kidding..back to the farm I guess..bawled my eyes out..

    Now..
    Your cake♥
    Her face♥Her wool..
    I love her.
    You're still my ace of cakes🌠
    That tulip is resplendent in her vase..
    And I am smitten with the cup and handle!
    I received gorgeous flowers today.
    What a gift they are..!
    Happy Easter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Monique, I'm sorry you had your heart broken at such a young age. I have a similar story, but I think I'll send a hug instead [M]

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness she is ADORABLE!! Marysol, you've done it again! I love the expression that she has on her face too. Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures, delicious cake and cute kitty!

    Happy Easter!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is by far the CUTEST Easter cake that I have seen!! She looks so sleepy and happy and perfect! Even your cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, my friend, are too talented. I do believe you received my portion of creativity, imagination, and bakerocity (yes, I said it) when those particular virtues were doled out.

    The little baby's face, with her sleepy eyes - too cute for words. And I agree with Ms. M. - the beauty of that tulip (my ultimate favorite flower, by the way), is almost haunting in your vignette.

    Another gorgeous post. How DO you do it. *sigh*

    Lori
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable Easter cake and how I'd love to have a taste of Ewenice! Happy Easter dear Marysol ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was not that kid although I would have loved to be. Instead we collect dogs :) Love your cake and your kitty! Both adorable. Hope you are enjoying a fabulous Easter! All good things to you and yours, Sol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This little sheep is just too cute.. :) I never liked animals that were bigger than me than I was a kid :))))

    Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you my friends! I hope your Easter was filled with joy and maybe a bit of chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad it is an adorable cake, and not a new pet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous22/4/14

    Haha! I love the expression!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Dear Marysol! Thank you so very much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a kind comment! I'm so glad you did, because now I get to discover your brilliant and gorgeous world...wow... :)
    Following ASAP.... :) You are very talented....
    What a darling cake! (and kitty cat)
    Hugs from Minnesota...
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Marysol,

    This is my second attempt to leave a comment. I hope you get it. First of all, WoW! She is amazing. I love Ewenice's sweet little face. Secondly, you're brilliant. I like to dream about making things like this, but all my all my real world attempts fall dismally short.

    I love your collections, and silver baby cups are the bomb. I had a friend decorate her entire tree with sterling silver baby cups. It was rather spectacular.

    Thank you for sharing the magic of your baking with us.

    Hugs,
    Nancy

    BTW ... Your photos are stunning. You have a great eye for composition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Irina, how very nice of you to visit. Welcome! Loved reading your delightful blog, and I'm looking forward to many more entries from you! Hugs.

    Nancy, my dear friend, I'm sorry you've had problems leaving comments. Unfortunately, other blogging friends have experienced the same. I'm going to try to fix it.
    But I'm so glad you persevered, not only because I love you, but also because your silver baby cup idea is brilliant, and I intend to 'borrow' it. Thank you, sweets!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, what a sweet cake! I love the swirly frosting and the little butterfly on top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Marysol, oh I cannot stop smiling at Ewenice's sweet face! (literally sweet...ha!) ;)
    I could never eat that darling visage, although I am sure it's so delicious... :)
    Thank you very much for your visit, and your kindness...
    Please do send some sunshine our way...it's still rather chilly, but the leaves are finally starting to make their way into the world...can't wait for the lilacs, apple blossoms, etc...
    Have a marvelous Sunday!
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that you are doing well. Thanks for the comments and have a lovely end of the week.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Marysol, this post never fails to make me giggle....
    I hope you are having a marvelous and creative summer so far, and I thank you so much for stopping by to visit me! The Belvoir drink...so worth seeking out. If you have a specialty or gourmet grocery near you, they may carry it. Also, I think it can be ordered through Amazon...
    Enjoy the rest of the week!!
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do hope you can find the Belvoir, dear Marysol...
    Also found a place where it can be ordered by the case..heehee...let me know if you would like that link... :)
    Are you familiar with Elderflower beverages in general? If not, IKEA carries Elderflower syrup which can be mixed with sparkling water. So delicious.
    You too, have a SPLENDID weekend!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Irina, you're such an enabler – let's be best-friends-forever! :)

    And thank you for searching this wonderful drink for me! There's a market (approx.1 hr. away) which claims to carry some Belvoir products. I'm back from a mini vacation, so I intend to drive out there this weekend and see for myself. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello dear Marysol,

    I hope all is well, and that you are basking in the glory of lazy summer days.

    I just saw that you commented on my last post. So sorry that I didn't post your comment sooner. It seems I am no longer receiving my comments in my inbox. I have to actually sign-in to google dashboard to get them.

    Hope you'll be posting again soon. ;)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Marysol,

    It's always so much fun to get a comment from you! Two in one day made me burst out laughing and now I'm smiling like a fool. Now that I've looked at photo #12, I'm inclined to agree with you. It is a bit queasy inducing. Wouldn't it be awesome to vacation there though?

    Ok, it is time for another one of your gorgeous posts. I need to see the beauty. ;)

    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Marysol,
    Thanks for the lovely comments!
    I hope you are having a wonderful summer.
    Cheers,
    Rosa xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Dear Marysol... :) Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm glad you have been having a relaxing summer...I actually prefer "mini" vacations...more adventures to look forward to. :)
    And Autumn is definitely in the air here...
    Did you have any luck with the Belvoir?
    I'm a bit miffed because just a couple of months after they began carrying it here, they stopped! bah!
    Perhaps I should work for them as a promoter... ;)
    Anyway, wishing you a week of love and magic....
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Marysol, I'm so sorry it took me this long to respond! I'm very glad for you about the Belvoir! And the grocery store by my house is finally carrying it again...yay..:)
    I hope all is well, my friend...
    Hugs,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hugs right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know you gave strict instructions to definitely not visit your blog, my dear Marysol, but I am a rebel at heart! haha ;)))
    I just want to pop in to say happy spring...and to thank you for your lovely message....I hope life is full and wonderful for you!
    I'm finally ready to make the post, but my chromebook is not uploading the photos I want...I have some pretty ones I took of the blossoms in their full glory right now. I'll give it another go, but if that doesn't work, I'll just post the cook-up. You like Donna Hay too? The photography in her magazines is so stunning...and the recipes I've tried so far have been fabulous.

    Sending love and happy weekend wishes!
    xoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello dear Marysol! I was overjoyed to see your comment...you are so kind!! After leaving blogging for months at a time, I never know if anyone is even paying attention, and I so appreciate your special blog friendship. I hope you are doing well...and yes, I think I may have some Gypsy...at least in my soul... ;)

    That lemon pudding was out of this world good! The texture was more like an English pudding...yummy yum. Please let me know if you want the recipe.

    How is your summer going? Are you having some creative adventures?
    Coming here and seeing sweet Ewenice as well as your kitty cat always makes me smile!
    I am sending you a big hug too!
    xoxo
    ~ Irina

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sweet Irina, if it involves 'chocolate' or 'lemons,' then yes. I'd love the recipe! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such talent, dear Marysol ... miss you, dear one. The cake looks too cute to eat but I am going to try her yummy inside. Happy 2016 gifted friend. (( BIG HUGS )) XXOO

    ReplyDelete