11/23/11

Curried Butternut Squash and Pear Bisque


There is only one above us who truly understands.
But, he spent most of the day sulking, refusing to come downstairs.


And all due to my Thanksgiving menu.
I planned to start out with a simple, healthy soup. Whereas, my bitter half claimed that most soups are inedible, unless there's a pound of salt pork swimming in it.


So, I worked on a soup that would, hopefully, satisfy all, and disarm my soup Nazi.
I combined butternut squash with a sweet, juicy pear. The curry powder gave this creamy soup a spicy kick, while cutting back on the sweetness a bit.


The fish were specifically 'caught' for Mr. Manpants. But this deliciously-cheesy cracker made us all happy.
The recipe comes from my friend Susan. She cut her crackers into perfect little rounds. Check out her beautiful blog and recipe at Savoring Time in the Kitchen.

Btw, I omitted the walnuts in the recipe because my son dislikes nuts—but he still loves me. Ha. Ha.

In any case, the fish were cut with a cookie cutter and the markings were done with the edge of a 'pottery loop tool.'
(No, I didn't make that up. I work with sugar, so I've amassed many weird tools over time).


Serve this bisque topped with toasted squash seeds, crème fraîche, or cheese & walnut crackers.

Butternut Squash and Pear Bisque

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in 1-inch cubes
1 large pear, preferably Bosc, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
6 cups rich chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream

In a 6-quart soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the onion, stirring often until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the squash and pear, and season with salt and pepper.
Decrease heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally until squash is soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
Add the mild curry powder, stirring for about 1 minute. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer until squash is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream and return soup to a simmer. Check the seasonings, and add more salt and pepper, if needed. In batches, carefully purée the soup in a blender, until smooth. Serves 8. Inspired by The Paley's Place Cookbook.


Well, the soup was enjoyed by all. One of many things I'm thankful for. But, what will we have tomorrow?

Another thing I'm thankful for. The good friends who continue to read this blog, and leave kind and encouraging comments (even though my posts are few and far between. Thank you for putting up with that).
And thanks to the readers whose visits are quiet, yet frequent. I thank you all!


Have a Delicious and Happy Thanksgiving!

29 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and I always appreciate a twist on butternut squash soup! Happy Thanksgiving. -- Joann

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful bisque! So flavorful and refined tasting. I love those fish crackers. Soooo cute.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those crackers:) How adorable..and your bitter half:) Oh your sense of humor is only matched by your talents in the kitchen..
    Happy Thanksgiving..You always inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Things have finally slowed down around here, and my kitchen no longer looks like a raging tornado passed through it.

    Onto the Christmas baking marathon. Yay!

    Thank you all, very, very kindly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who has gone fishing all of one time and caught NOTHING, I much prefer THIS way of fishing. LOL These crackers are just too cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Marysol. For sharing with us wonderful recipes to try and beautiful pictures to gaze at and marvel. And this bisque is yet another keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious and those crackers are just genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beautiful presentation and the bisque sounds out of the world. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only does this soup sound amazing, but that fish cracker is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww I love those goldfish! they're brilliantly done! :o Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I'm was reading through your post smiling at your humor and your bitter half. Then, ogling your beautiful fish crackers when I saw my name! Your crackers are just beautiful and now I need a fish cutter just like that but I don't know where the heck I'll find a pottery loop tool :) Brilliant and beautiful as always!

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Sol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I could just keep looking at your photo forever ~ it is gorgeous!

    Fun post... and the crackers make me happy too! That was a work of love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, I used the clay tool because it was handy. Craft stores carry clay tools, but you really won't need them. An alternative would be a round pastry tip, or even the edge of a baby spoon.
    In any case, thank you dear for sharing your wonderful recipe!

    And thanks again everyone; I truly appreciate every one of your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful bisque! I always love seeing your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post! I very much enjoyed reading and what some great ideas for some fun food. I do believe I'll blog about this today. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool fish, love that shot! You are beyond cool, Sol. So creative! Do those tools bring new meaning to bisque? Soup, ceramic? har har :) Go ahead and groan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I want this and want it now, dear Marysol! It's snowing and being a soup mongrel, this suits my fancy to a tee. Your clever/dynamic posts and photos are sublime! Hugs, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I'm thankful for you, and your beautiful, funny posts. Those fish crackers are works of art. I love them!

    Your photography is amazing . . . do you know that?? You inspire me.

    Hugs!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missed you amiga! Thank you for being more loyal and stopping by:) Your soup looks delicious and so does the fish:) Happy Holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This soup sounds like a lovely start to a Thanksgiving feast. Love those fish crackers too! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos!
    Happy belated Thanksgiving to you Marysol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gone-ta-pott, thank you very kindly; I hope you'll make it, and enjoy!

    Dear Carol, you know I love you, regardless :)
    And I guess you could say this is the kind of soup that'll stick to your ribs (Your turn to groan).

    Joey, we had a brutal snowstorm yesterday which left us without power all day, so I could certainly use your warm thoughts AND the hugs. Thank you, soul shine!


    Nancy, not only am I speechless, but I feel my lower lip quivering. Hugs right back!


    Querida Fari, it's pretty wonderful to see you blogging with more frequency. I have missed that and you!


    Thank you Lisa! The 'goldfish' crackers were a big hit with my young son, as well as with the bigger kids.

    Nic, fancy seeing you here!:) And thank you for being so kind!


    Happy Holidays to all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Confession . . .

    I didn't make the paper cranes in my last post. I purchased them at a wonderful paper store I love to frequent. I hope I haven't lost your admiration. ;~)

    Hugs!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm much easier to please than your home crowd, soup-wise anyways. I'll take a soul-warming mugful (especially if it will be served in one of your lovely Fire-King mugs!) And I wouldn't mind a bit if you'd free one or two of those fish into my serving. Oh yes. I could handle it all quite nicely, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous22/12/11

    Merry CHRISTmas Aunt Mary, Uncle Jimmy and kiddies :)

    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those crackers are adorable!! I love how you can go fishing in your soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Lori, I can only hope Mr. (Finicky) Man-pants will, someday, be as easy to please.

    Kathy, may this year bring you as much joy as you bring into our lives! Hugs

    Thank you Marcy; you're very kind!

    And thank you all for hanging out with me. I truly appreciate your comments.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete