3/14/08

Oh, the weather outside is delightful ...

It's 51°F today in my corner of the world. And being a Michigander, I consider this a freakin' heatwave, and I welcome it with open arms - fully exposed arms even.
Unfortunately, tomorrow's temperatures will be back in the 30's. Wah-Wah.



You know what, I'm bored playing meteorologist. Instead, I'm going to pretend it's July, which is National Blueberry Month. We all know all about blueberries' health benefits, they say, blueberries are a good source of Vitamin C, and its antioxidants will keep you young and alert forever, maybe even longer.
They also say, "life is short." So, to hell with it. Let's bake Blueberry Muffins!
A bastion of good habits, I am not.




These are light. moist and full of flavor. And I hereby reiterate: Life is short, eat dess ... well, you know the rest.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried, or 2 cups slightly thawed frozen blueberries
2 large eggs
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 lemon

Topping

3 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup finely chopped walnuts

Combine the sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts together in a bowl. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°F. With the rack in the center position. Line a 12-cup muffin pan or a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with paper liners. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla and lemon zest. With a wooden spoon, fold the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix just to combine. Don't worry about a few lumps in the batter. Scrape down the bowl well. Gently fold in the blueberries.

I use an ice cream scoop to drop the batter into the prepared pan, filling two-thirds of the way. Generously sprinkle the topping over the batter. Bake the regular-sized muffins for 18-20 minutes. And the jumbo muffins for 22-24 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks and cooling completely.




2 comments:

  1. Yay Sol! I'm glad to see you blogging. I don't bake much, but I saved your Coconut Budino recipe from the CF and now that I see it below on your post I want to make it even more. Your blueberry muffins would be doable for me too and they look so good.

    It's delightful in Colorado this weekend too! And thanks to you, maybe I'll bake. Have a great weekend.

    Lee (lsr2002), waving from Boulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you Lee!
    Btw, you're too darn humble. I know you're a bread baking ball of fire, so I'm certain anything you find here would be doable.

    ReplyDelete