4/2/09

My Spring Symphony. Composed, not in C-minor, but "C" as in cookie...and that's good enough for me.

Obladi, Oblada, life goes on bra
La la how the life goes on…

Like this song? It pops into my head whenever the stress of everyday life starts to mount. But it’s been in my head for several weeks now, so I’m passing it on to you. The song, not the stress. Catch!

I wonder what it is about this Beatles song, that lifts my spirits the instant it reaches my eardrums. Which song would you say has a positive effect on your emotional well-being?

Yes, music tends to have an effect on our emotions, and so will this delicious Spring bouquet.



A bouquet of perfectly-delicious sugar cookies, and each one created using only one cookie cutter, the teardrop shaped cutter. If you already own this one, then you know how versatile it is.




For the Spring symphony, I was initially inspired by my bipolar Dogwood tree in the front yard. A tree which will bloom profusely, whenever it feels like it.
But, it's a show worth waiting for.



Violets, being one of my favorite flowers, were also an inspiration here. But, they needed faces, and since I always listen to my inner voices, I went ahead and made them using marzipan and a face mold (the mold makes this a very quick project). Painted the faces and attached them to the cookies with royal icing.




And, since daisies always add a touch of fun to any spring bouquet, they were also included.




If you’re as bored as I am with the formulaic, flat sugar cookie, I’m going to show you a way to add depth and interest to your edible bouquet. Pay attention, this is a very complicated procedure.

1. Go in your kitchen and grab a sheet of aluminum foil, one and a half times the length of your cookie sheet.
2. Grease foil lightly, then crumple it up with your hands. And place it on your cookie sheet.
3. Smooth it out very, very lightly, leaving enough mountains and valleys for your flowers and leaves to be propped on. Bake.
4. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from amorphous foil bed.




Because these cookies are three-dimensional, icing them the conventional way (outlining with a pastry bag and flooding), would be a nightmare. Instead, get a good artist’s brush and paint the icing on. No outlining, and no mess.
While I usually ice my cookies with a confectioner’s sugar glaze, for these cookies, I prefer the body and coverage that royal icing offers. But if you use a glaze, you might need several coats of “paint” to cover the cookies completely. And you'd also need to allow the first coat to set before re-applying.

Some of the butterflies were baked flat, iced, and airbrushed over a stencil. Other butterflies were baked on a folded piece of aluminum foil (as pictured) to keep the wings elevated and to provide some stability while they baked.



Again, try not to move cookies baked in this way, until they are completely cooled to avoid any casualties.

Sugar Cookies

2¼ cups AP flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and beat until blended. In another bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients (flour and salt). On low speed, gradually add them to the butter mixture, until incorporated. Press the dough into a flat disc, wrap well, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Roll out to 1/8" thick on a lightly-floured surface. Cut out and bake in a 350°F oven, for 8-12 minutes. For even baking, rotate the cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking.
Source: Rose's Christmas Cookies by RL Beranbaum.


Guys, I woefully regret being MIA for 5 weeks. Please Forgive.

Best Wishes to my peeps for a wonderful Spring!




Oh, sweet mother! I just had (what appeared to be) a huge spider land on my wrist. It turns out Thumper was just playing a trick on me. I'll be fine, as soon as I scrape my butt off the ceiling.

Well, back to my theme music...

Obladi, Oblada life goes on bra...

42 comments:

  1. Life's Masterpieces from the Cuisine of Soleil..

    :) Merçi belle fille..I just e-mailed you yesterday! What a wonderful coincidence..I was longing for a beautiful post from you..My wish is granted!:)
    I bought a polymer clay mold..I tried w/ fondant..it stuck:( I'll try w/ Marzipan now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Sol! Your spring flowers and butterfly are just perfect! Nice to see you back again.
    Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see pure artistry and exceptional talent ~ (and thank you for the crumpled foil tip.)

    Brava! Sol, you never cease to capture my attention and make me take pause over your incredible creations.

    I'm so happy you share the images with us. Delightful!! xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sol, thanks for the visit to my blog...I have you in my side board so I know when you do a new post...and Hooray!

    OMG is all I can say..

    Well not really..I am never at a loss for words!

    They are fabulous..What a talent you have!

    I would feel like they were looking at me when I ate them..so I guess I would just close my eyes and behead them!

    And Happy Easter to you..don't let the spiders bite ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous little works of art. I wouldn't eat them..... or then again who am I kidding. I know they probably taste great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a real artist! This bouquet looks so refined, delicate and beautiful! And what a cute bunny! I wish I had the knowledge and patience to make such pretty things...

    Yes, music (just like weather) has a positive effect on our mood. There's nothing better than blazing loudspeakers to lift my mood up ;-P!!! I really need my daily dose of sound!

    Cheers and have a great weekend,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing artistry!

    And perfect spring cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought I smelled something wonderful drifting my way from your oven! I've been humming ... Obladi, Oblada ... a bit myself, dear Marysol. My, my you are talented! I'm always amazed at your creations and your spring bouquet is stunning, almost too beautiful to eat. Showed Mr. Ho-Hum, my Cookie Monster, your masterpieces when he brought me up another cup of French roast ... he wants these and wants them bad! (Hate the horrid song but since our entire family relies directly/indirectly to automotive ... Don't worry, be happy ... runs through our worried heads :) Happy Spring, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you are so talented. Beautiful, particularly the faces which are so expressive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, Sol! You are truly an original, from your wit to your culinary creations. I would have NEVER thought of doing something like this. I'm amazed. As usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monique, do you have any fondant left?
    If you do, just dust the mold with Petal Dust (gold dust and pearl dust are very pretty) before molding your piece, and it will come out easily.

    No petal dust, then dust the mold lightly with cornstarch. Either will work, I just like the sheen that petal dust gives.
    If neither are available, just place the whole thing in the freezer, until solid, and the molded item will pop right out without marring.


    Sharon, I wish I had your green thumb, but that's not bound to happen. But there's a silver lining. We just got our first rain of the year; there probably won't be many beautiful flowers adorning my yard, but, I'll settle for a brand new carpet of green grass. Hooray for Spring!

    Mari, your words should carry me through the rest of the year. Thank you! And hugs right back.

    Kathleen, you crack me up. You know, I think the faces are just a wee bit creepy. But wouldn't it be interesting to see what would happen if we put realistic faces on the foods we eat. Specifically, junk food.
    Would we lose our appetite, or toss our cookies, so to speak?

    And should I try to sell this idea to Jenny Craig? If it worked, I, er, I mean, WE, could be rich. Rich, I tell ya!


    Suzy, we've all been eating them; we're not big on Art around here ;-)


    Rosa, now I wish I had completed painting the bunny. So, as you can see, I'm not exactly patient either. But, no matter. There will be more on the subject of cookie painting soon, and you'll see how easy, and especially, how fast this really is.

    Marija, Wow, thank you very kindly!

    Joey, my sweet friend, I could be wrong, but I think we may be sharing similar worries.
    And it sounds like you've been humming that Beatles tune longer than I have.
    I'll talk to you soon. Sending the very best thoughts and wishes your way.


    Ninette, I love your name. Thank you so much for your lovely comments!

    Lori, you're a daily dose of fun. And I'm thrilled to be an original, but an original what, I wonder. Never mind. Just let me get back to my dream.

    Thank you my friends, and may this Spring be as bright and wonderful as you all are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally worth waiting for, these are awesome, Sol! I can't even think of a smart ass comment, LOL, I am in awe. Total awe.

    and thanks loads, now I can't get that out of my head. Obladi, Oblada...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is impressive! How did you paint those faces so perfectly?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. But Carol, I expect a smart-ass comment from you. How will I ever get through my weekend without it?


    Hillary, for the marzipan faces, use a very fine brush and paste (or gel) food coloring mixed with either vodka, gin, or any clear alcohol, or even lemon extract. Their high alcohol content evaporates very quickly, so there's no need to wait between brush strokes.

    Thank you guys! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been gone for a long time but back with a big bang! You are such a gifted food artist. Thank you so much for the recipe and tips - I don't think I could creative anything as lovely as you do.

    I wove the wabbit!

    How about... She Loves You - Yeah, yeah, yeah :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting my blog and the very kind words you left there.

    I love those sugar cookies, especially that bunny. And since I weild a paint brush with more skill than I do a decorator tip, I like the suggestion of painting the cookies.

    I'm off to have a look at your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your culinary art pieces as always ... they look so dainty, pretty and really reminds me of spring ^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely creations! what ,you painted the faces yourself? I am speechless. They look so real. You are amazing, amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are beautiful! Are they baked at 350 or lower? I'd like to try your cookie recipe in some Easter molds I have that have a lot of detail. All of the sugar cookie recipes stick like crazy in these molds and I'd love to copy the small painted detail like in your final rabbit cookie. It's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan, I wove wascally wabbits too. And, in regards to talent, I think you are too humble. You're the one whose banner ideas originate from your own paintings. I rest my case.


    Annie, welcome!
    I'd really love to see your artwork! I've mostly done pencil drawings, and only 2 oil paintings in my time. And I've discovered I'm much more confident with a pencil than with a paintbrush. Paintbrushes are for true artists.


    NC, you flatter me to the giggling point.

    Fari,, it's always good to see you here!

    Maggie, yes, the cookies are baked in a moderate 350°F oven. I'll take care of that, as soon as I'm done banging my head against the wall, for not noticing it. Btw, the recipe contains no leavening, so it's great for use in cookie molds.

    Thank you dear friends!
    Just so you know, I'll be on the road tomorrow, but will be back in less than a week.

    Don't forget to miss me.

    Happy Easter to all my homebunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful! saw this on photograzing and just had to indulge further.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are lovely! But can I tell you, I would not be able to eat the cookies with faces (even though I have no problems be-heading gummy bears...) :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are soo pretty, I love the spring and Easter theme~have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gosh, to you give lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  25. wish I can cook like this

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, how creative! (and beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, fan my brow! Thank you guys for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh, you are such an artist! Those are amazing! And you've talked me into it - the teardrop cookie cutters are on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sol, I've never seen anything like what you do. Those cookies with the faces are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. But Lynn, you're the cookie baker extraordinaire, how come you don't own every cookie cutter ever made? ;-)

    Hi Ann! You know, I could say the same thing about you, and I often do [G]

    Have a great weekend all.

    sincerely,

    your friendly, neighborhood enabler.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yeah, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head!!lol
    Your cookies are amazing. they dont even look like cookies, they look like Porcelain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Marysol,

    Your creations are always soooo beautiful!

    Have a wonderful day and don't forget to check out chocolate-making kit giveaway on my site :)

    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great post, and those flowers look a-mazing! I especially love the daisies and the spring bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sorry Leslie. But I've even had dreams turn into musicals. And I'm sure that's one revelation you all now wished I had kept to myself.[G]

    Margot, I will always regret missing out on chocolate. But, I've had family visiting, and didn't get around to checking in.

    Thank you Y. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I surely will.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hope you'll like that cheesecake and the jelly! Yes, it would be great for V-Day!

    Cheers and have a great week,

    Rosa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Marysol I saw these pieces of art and could not believe they were cookies. Very beautiful. You have great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow those are like little works of art! How big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear Rosa, if it's cheesecake, I know I'll like it!


    Robin, they were more than just a pretty face, you know. Hah.


    Marc, the cookie cutters range in size, from 1-7/8 to 3-3/4 inches. I used the former for the violet cookies, which ended up being almost 4" in diameter - I dare say they were big enough to satisfy any cookie monster.

    You guys are the best! Thank you all very kindly.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous14/5/09

    I haven't looked at your site in a long time. I love the flowers. You're the best.
    Love your niece, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  40. These are beautiful! You are such a talented artist :). Hope you're having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Kathy, I haven't had the opportunity to add a new entry, so you haven't missed much, but I'm always happy to see you. Lots of love.

    Sophie, how could anyone not have a great summer with friends like you. I plan on enjoying summer, and certainly hope you will too! Hugs.

    Thank you both very much!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just discovered your blog. What a find! It is like reading poetry! visually stunning photos and delightful writing! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete