11/10/09

I Heart Oatmeal



T
he experts agree. A bowl of cooked oatmeal is a healthy, fiber-rich and cholesterol-lowering way to start your day.
The experts have also concluded that dark chocolate (as opposed to that icky, solid white substance that tries to pass itself off as chocolate) is loaded with powerful antioxidants.
It is instrumental in decreasing bad LDL cholesterol. And flavonol-rich dark chocolate promotes healthy blood flow, similar in effect to a low dose aspirin.

Got a headache? Have a chocolate chip cookie.
Got high cholesterol? Have an oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie.

And now—by the power infested in me—by the commonwealth of (Hershey) Pennsylvania, I give you my family's favorite recipe for chewy, oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies.



These may never win a beauty contest, but neither has Keith Richards, and look how popular he is. Buh-dum-chhh!
Forgive me Keith. Call me.

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2¼ cups AP flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup molasses
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1½ cups semisweet chocolate chunks
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line sheet pans with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
Using a mixer, cream the butter and both sugars, until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla extract and the molasses. Beat until blended.
With mixer on low, add the flour mixture, and beat just until blended. Stir in the oats, chocolate chunks, and walnuts, if using, until evenly distributed.
Drop the dough by tablespoons onto prepared sheet pans, about 2" apart. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes. Yield: 5 dozen cookies.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


And because I got your back, here is another wonderful cookie recipe for you. This one comes from my friend Sharon, whose blog is like taking a trip to the beautiful Canary Islands, but cheaper than airline tickets and hotels.

Only changes I made to Sharon's recipe were to substitute butter for the margarine, because butter is what I always have on hand. And using chopped walnuts, instead of raisins, because my ball and chain dislikes them.



Willow's Glazed Apple Cookies

Cookies:

½ cup soft margarine
¾ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves
2 cups AP flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
2 peeled and grated, medium size, Granny Smith apples
1 cup chopped raisins
¼ cup milk

Glaze:
1½ cups icing sugar
1 tablespoon soft butter
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt
dash of cinnamon
2 - 3 tablespoons of heavy cream

Stir well to make a very soft but not runny icing.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cream margarine with sugar . Add egg and spices. Beat until well blended.
Add apples and milk.
Sift together the dry ingredients adding raisins and nuts, if using.
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir well until blended.
Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets, 2” apart.
Bake 13 - 14 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack and cool approximately 10 minutes. Glaze while cookies are still warm.




Enjoy my friends. And I'll see you in health.

41 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photographs!yes I do agree ..oatmeal is good for lowering cholesterol and those cookies look so tempting! ur blog is very beautiful.:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love waking up to a healthy breakfast, and Sol, your cookies definitely fit the bill! So good and so filling, send me a dozen, thanks :) and nice you got Sharon's cookies in there because fruit is nice with breakfast!

    I was getting hungry, glad you came back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes what gorgeous photographs indeed..

    And creative.. ..I am so glad I have infested time in the internet and found you many moons ago:) What a rich blogging life I have:)
    I can't even pick a favorite,I know I will make them..but right now I am distracted by the photos instead of focusing on the recipes...
    I'll take one lb please.. a beverage in le petit pot.. peruse the old books.. and wrap up the scale too SVP..

    That will be Visa:)Canadian...

    Thank you Soleil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a headache, wish I could grab those choco-chip cookies :-) I agree with them your photos are definitely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love oatmeal and eat a bowl of that cereal every morning... Both cookies look terribly tempting and incredibly good!

    I love that last shot!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! The pictures are wonderful..and I love oatmeal cookies..
    Thank you to you and dear CB too!

    Sounds like a wonderful breakfast to me Dr. Sol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zurin, Kay Thompson was once quoted as saying, "You have to eat your oatmeal, or you'll dry up. Anybody knows that."
    So, that's been my breakfast ever since. And while I still like oatmeal, I'm beginning to think Ms. Thompson might've stretched the truth a little bit :-)


    Dear Carol, as a kid, I was never given cookies for breakfast, so I'm making up for lost time. I'll share.


    Monique, as wonderful as you are, I cannot part with that Hanson scale. I found it 20 years ago, at an estate sale, hidden in a dark corner of a basement, without a price.
    So I offered 3 dollars for it (thinking I'd be laughed right out of there). Thankfully, the offer was accepted. I lunged for it, and gave it a good home. I still love that old scale to this day.
    But, I'll send you cookies...


    Dhanggit, I woke up with a headache this morning, so I raided the cookie jar. Not something I'd recommend. So please take my advice, I'm not using it.


    Dear Rosa, I started having oatmeal for breakfast when I first found out I was pregnant, about 100 years ago, and I haven't stopped.


    Kathleen, I hope your medical insurance covers cookie damages.

    Thank you guys for all the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, who'd have thought you would turn into our health advisor! I am going to follow your orders and take my medicine like a good girl :)

    Fabulous photos and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes Sol...chocolate, nuts and oatmeal are wonderful and healthy too! Those cookies will be one of the first things I make when I'm over dieting. And thanks for the compliment and for mentioning Willow's Apple Cookies. I love them with generous helpings of cinnamon, cloves...and icing! Great pics as always.
    Saludos...Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear Sol, I heart your cookies, your writing, and your GORGEOUS photography. When I grow up, I want to be as good a photographer as you. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever grow up. Must need more oatmeal in my diet!

    Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A chef and stand-up comic huh? =) Love the picture of the ooey chocolate inside. MMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of those cookies would definitely heal what ails me! Chewy oatmeal chocolate chip are my husband's favorite kind of cookie but with the glut of apples we have I think I'll have to try both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the photography!!!!! And the cookies look delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oatmeal gives a healthy side even any dessert :)

    Your cookies look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished making your cookies. I have to admit, I was a little wary of the molasses, but now I'm convinced. These are divine. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos! I love your reasoning. Definitely no faults in that argument there :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have such a bad headache right now and I think the only way to feel better is to have one of these cookies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a gorgeous blog! those cookies look healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, dear Susan, Dr. Aikenhead is in the house. Expect more cookies, and a bill [g]

    No, no, no Sharon. I cannot be responsible for sabotaging your diet, and the progress you have made. Instead, make them for Wolf, or spread the love with friends.


    Lori, I eat oatmeal to keep from growing up. However, in order to fully reap its benefits, one must always combine oats with lots and lost of chocolate.


    Jessica, if I'm so darned talented, how come I ain't rich? :-(


    Hi Maggie, try them both, they won't disappoint.


    Gale, you're very sweet. Thank you.


    Karine, that's what I keep telling myself. [g]


    Minisuperbias, you're very welcome! I'm really glad you liked them.

    Y, I'm glad we share the same chocolaty beliefs ;-)


    Patricia, not one. Take two cookies!


    Yes, Kiss my Spatula, I only eat foods that make me happy. Therefore, cookies is good food."


    This is one occasion where it's perfectly okay to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Thank you all for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great Friday!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both cookies look great to me:) I usualy made oatmeal raisin cookies but will try with chocolate next time. That's ritght up in my alley. Thanks, amiga:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sol, I've been hankering to make those apple cookies for a while. They look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you friends. I'm off to enjoy this lovely weekend, I hope you'll do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Marysol, your photos (not to mention your baked goods) are such a pleasure look at! They're really wonderful, with a capital "W"!! A feast for the eyes to be sure.

    :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought I had left a comment on this one. Hmm..

    Anyways, this looks soo delectable. The pictures are soo beautiful as well.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the wishes!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Je découvre ton blog. Il est magnifique. Bravo!!!
    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bienvenue Saveurs! :)

    Merci à tous!

    Thank you all very kindly!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely post with beautiful photography, especially the last photo with everything sepia and the red apple. I love your prescription for headache and high cholesterol in the form of the delicious chewy ccc, I wish you're my doctor who prescribe all these deliciousness so I won't mind getting sick now n then ;) I'm into soft cookies at the moment because I'm on braces, I want to try out your first cookie recipe someday =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous19/11/09

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. NC, I didn't know you were sporting braces, or my entry would've been about soup.
    In fact, that is just what I'll do next, in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just popped a batch of the oatmeal into the oven and if the taste of the dough is indicative of how they'll taste once they bake, I've definitely found the star of our holiday cookie boxes! The flavor is heavenly. The molasses adds such a nice & unexpected flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just tasted a cookie and I'm in love. These are definitely going in my holiday cookie boxes this year! Thank you SO much for sharing this with all of us. I'm certain they will make quite a few people smile this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so glad you loved them Southern Daze!
    May your delicious gifts generate smiles, one cookie at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your photos and the cookies:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Here's the to the oatmeal love! I'm with you all the way. If I could have oatmeal every day I probably would!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you Maria! And please, have a cookie.

    Creampuff, I do have oatmeal every blessed day. And while it may not ever make me popular, my doctor loves me [G]

    ReplyDelete
  38. If Keith calls...tell him to call me to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm not sure those oatmeal cookies were any good for my heart. There was murmuring and skipping of beats and being still... none of which, I'd imagine, would lead to a long and healthy life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Dee, you got me so worked up, I screwed up my own comment.
    The message I failed to convey was that there's chocolate in them cookies. Chocolate being the culprit of most palpitations.

    Dang it Jim! I'm a cookie baker, not a doctor!

    ReplyDelete