3/16/18

Chocolate Sorbet

Hello, friends,

I can't tell you  how a simple concoction, such as this,  turns into a creamy and decadent chocolate sorbet.  I simply cannot.

Obviously,  some sort of alchemy takes place when basic ingredients, e.g.,  chocolate, water, and sugar are combined,  resulting in the ultimate chocoholic's dream.

What I can tell you is, you need to experience it for yourself. Today. And when you do, please, explain it to me. Go ahead, I'll wait . . .





Chocolate  Sorbet

1 quart water
1¼ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I like Medaglia D'oro)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
10 ounces bittersweet  chocolate, chopped 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a large saucepan, bring water, sugar, espresso powder, and cocoa powder to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. 

Add the chocolate,  and whisk to combine and thoroughly melt the chocolate.  Then, stir in the vanilla.  Transfer mixture to a heatproof bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to  manufacturer's instructions.   Makes about 2 quarts.
Adapted from La Maison du Chocolat by Robert Linxe.